Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Chicken Mango Salsa Tacos {Gluten Free & Diabetic Friendly}


Now after our tostada deal the other time, I decided it's taco style for us, lol. So for these I let them use soft flour tortillas and I used my soft flour gluten free tortilla. You will need to start this ahead of time, the chicken needs a little marinading and the salsa needs a little time also, but it's a pretty easy recipe. If you like mangoes and cilantro, you'll love these. Mr. and little boy picked the mangoes out, to me that's what these tacos are all about. I love simple easy dinners like these.


Chicken Mango Salsa Tacos {Gluten Free & Diabetic Friendly}
slightly adapted from Taste of Home

1/3 cup fresh orange juice
5 tablespoons lime juice, divided
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast halves (I used 2 big ones)
2 medium mangoes, peeled and diced
1 small red onion, chopped
1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
1 tablespoon fresh grated  ginger
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 corn tortillas (6 inches)
3 cups coleslaw mix
6 tablespoons fat-free sour cream

In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the orange juice, 3 tablespoons lime juice, garlic powder and cumin; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
For salsa, in a small bowl, combine the mangoes, onion, cilantro, serrano pepper, ginger, brown sugar, salt and remaining lime juice. Cover and chill until serving.

Drain and discard marinade. Place chicken on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray (I grilled mine). Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Cut into thin strips.

In a nonstick skillet, cook tortillas over medium heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Top each with coleslaw mix, chicken, mango salsa and sour cream.

Serves 6. Made with corn tortilla: 1 serving equals 238 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 203 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.

Did you like this post? If so, please share it and PIN it! =)

enjoy,
Pin It!

2 Comments:

Kristen @ Hope Abound said...

I just came across your site through a pin off pinterest. I am hooked! You have some amazing recipes that have made my belly rumble and it's only 8 a.m. I can't wait to try some of your recipes.

In Which We Start Anew said...

I made this for dinner tonight, very good!! I ended up running out of the OJ I had purchased for the purpose, so used lemon juice instead. Still tasty! :) Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...